Women Deserve Better than Planned Parenthood
"Safety is an important and common concern for women. In-clinic abortion procedures are very safe."
PLANNED PARENTHOOD’S MEDICAL MALPRACTICE
Tonya Reaves was a 24-year-old African-American woman with a 1-year-old son and a fiancee when she bled to death from an abortion at Planned Parenthood’s Loop Health Center in Chicago, IL. Tonya’s abortion was performed at 11:00 AM on July 20, 2012, and afterwards she bled in the recovery room for five and a half hours until Planned Parenthood called an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital at 4:30 PM.1
Tonya was 16 weeks pregnant, but according to Planned Parenthood’s website, the Loop clinic does not offer surgical abortions at all.2 This is an indication that the clinic was not even properly equipped and prepared to operate on Tonya.
Since August 2010, there have been 16 medical emergencies at Planned Parenthood abortion clinics in 10 different states. 14 of these incidents took place in the past 22 months. 3 of the clinics, in Illinois, Massachusetts, and Minnesota, have had multiple incidents.
911 calls from Planned Parenthood’s mega-clinic in Houston, TX and abortion clinic in Virginia Beach, VA describe abortion patients hemorrhaging after procedures:
Planned Parenthood Houston Mega-Clinic:
911: What is your emergency?
PP: We have a client here, she’s in a procedure room, she may be hemorrhaging
911: Is she awake right now?
PP: Um, I’m not in the procedure room at this time, but we have a crash cart on site.
911: Okay. Alright, we are dispatching emergency EMTs to 4600 Gulf Freeway at Planned Parenthood on the third floor. Correct?
Planned Parenthood Virginia Beach:
911: Virginia Beach 911, where is the emergency?
PP: Uh, 515 Newtown Road. We have a patient that’s, um, bleeding.
911: 515 Newtown Road?
911: And is that Planned Parenthood?
PP: Yes, it’s Planned Parenthood?
911: Okay, is she bleeding badly?
Planned Parenthood in Birmingham, AL botched a patient’s abortion while the clinic was on probation by the Alabama Department of Health. The patient, who lost a fallopian tube because of Planned Parenthood’s negligence, is now suing the abortion business.5
Medical emergencies have been documented at the following Planned Parenthood clinics since August 2010:6
- October 13, 2012, Aurora, Illinois, Medical Emergency
- October 2, 2012, Kenmore, Washington, Medical Emergency
- August 2012: PP Boston, Massachusetts, Medical Emergency
- August 23, 2012: PP Houston, Texas, Hemorrhaging
- August 16, 2012: PP Boise, Idaho, Medical Emergency
- July 20, 2012: PP Chicago, Illinois, Death
- July 7, 2012: PP Boston, Massachusetts, Medical Emergency
- March 6, 2012: PP St. Paul, Minnesota, Medical Emergency
- December 20, 2011: PP Sioux City, Iowa, Medical Emergency
- October 14, 2011: PP Virginia Beach, Virginia, Hemorrhaging
- April 14, 2011: PP St. Paul, Minnesota, Medical Emergency
- April 1, 2011: PP Aurora, Illinois, Medical Emergency
- March 18, 2011: PP Everett, Washington, Medical Emergency
- February 12, 2011: PP St. Louis, Missouri, Medical Emergency
- January 11, 2011: PP Boston, Massachusetts, Medical Emergency
- August 20, 2010: PP Birmingham, Alabama, Botched Abortion
We do not know how many of the women taken These medical emergencies likely represent only a fraction of the injuries women suffer at the hands of Planned Parenthood abortionists. In fact, medical records linkage research indicates that an astonishing 94% of maternal deaths associated with abortion are not identifiable from death certificates alone.7
PLANNED PARENTHOOD’S COVER-UP
After Tonya’s death, Planned Parenthood referred to it as merely “a tragic development at a nearby hospital”--as if it were the hospital’s problem, not Planned Parenthood’s.8 Planned Parenthood has not announced any retraining of staff, updating of safety protocols, or disciplining of the doctor or even internal investigation of the clinic involved. As with so many of its other abuses, Planned Parenthood refuses to acknowledge any responsibility and is trying to sweep this incident and others like it under the rug.
This past month, Live Action investigators called all clinics with recent incidents listed above located in states where we were able to record them:
- Houston, TX
- Boise, ID
- St. Paul, MN
- Sioux City, IA
- Virginia Beach, VA
- St. Louis, MO
- Birmingham, AL
Our investigators posed as women seeking abortions and concerned about the safety of the procedure. They asked if women had ever been hurt or injured at these clinics. Some of these clinics have botched abortions on women as recently as just a few months ago--but not a single clinic admitted to the recent medical emergencies.
PLANNED PARENTHOOD’S ABORTION EMPIRE
Some facts about Planned Parenthood:
- Planned Parenthood is the nation’s biggest abortion business and performs over 320,000 abortions every year.9
- Planned Parenthood’s annual budget is over $1 billion and they receive almost half of that money in taxpayer subsidies from the government10
- Nearly 50% of Planned Parenthood’s clinic income comes from abortion11
- Last year, Planned Parenthood mandated that all of its affiliates perform abortions by the year 201312
- Clinic emergency references: